One of the first medical schools in the United States was built in 1824 in Charleston, South Carolina. The Medical University Of South Carolina (MUSC) was a private medical college that was and remains today as not only an excellent healthcare facility, but also functions as a teaching facility for medical students from numerous fields of study. Originally Roper Hospital was used by Medical University students for clinical teaching. Eventually, the Medical University recognized the need for its own teaching facilities. In 1955, the Medical University opened its doors to its first patients. MUSC has now grown into an outstanding medical center and university with six different colleges for medical students furthering their education. The Medical University also provides patients with numerous healthcare facilities and programs including three separate hospitals; the University Hospital, the Institute of Psychiatry, and the Children’s Hospital. The Medical University also offers a range of centers for specialized care such as the Heart Center, Transplantation Center, Hollings Cancer Center, Digestive Diseases Center and the Storm Eye Institute. This 709-bed learning hospital has well-served the state of South Carolina and many others for almost 200 years.
Medical University Of South Carolina Hospital
169 Ashley Ave, Charleston, SC 29403
# of Beds: 709
Year Built: 1824